Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Review: M'Liss Rae Hawley's Scrappy Quilts

Book Review:
M'Liss Rae Hawley's Scrappy Quilts
C&T Publishing 2008

I'm new to quilting and new to a lot of the well known quilters out there.  I found out about M'Liss Rae Hawley when my mother bought a yard of her fabric at JoAnn's, it was a celtic knot fabric to go along with a nautical line that she designed.  Once I saw the fabric I noticed that she also has a number of quilting books.  I checked out "Scrappy Quilts" from the library and really loved it!  In the first chapter she talked about the basics of quilting and I was delightfully surprised to find two tips that would immediately change the way I put quilts together.  One about binding and one about sandwiching the quilt together & basting.  (that is still the hardest part for me!) 

The second thing that I liked about this book is that it featured fewer quilt patterns than the typical quilt book.  But the patterns that were featured are explained very well and then they show 3-4 other versions of the same quilt using different fabric styles and themes.  This is perfect for me.  When I see a pattern that I like it is so hard for me to picture it with different colors and especially hard to picture it with fabrics I already have in my stash. 

I recommend this book for beginners especially but I'm sure that even seasoned quilters would enjoy looking at the different varieties of quilts, and to find ways to reduce their scrap piles! 


A limited edition of this book is available on Google Books: http://books.google.com/books?id=W7OtgiJg5WcC&printsec=frontcover&dq=m%27liss+rae+hawley&cd=5#v=onepage&q=&f=false


P.S. She was super nice when giving me permission to use her photos for this post too!

No comments:

Post a Comment